Vision Statement for Hampstead Public Library
To be the community space where people gather and grow.
Adopted by the Library Board of Trustees, 2/18/2015
Mission Statement for the Hampstead Public Library
Adopted by the Library Board of Trustees, 1/21/2015
About the Hampstead Public Library
The town of Hampstead has a history of supporting libraries. Dr. Josiah C. Eastman, in 1849, representing Hampstead in the Legislature, introduced a bill entitled "An act providing for the establishment of public libraries" which was signed by the governor shortly thereafter. This act provided that any town in this state at any legal meeting may raise and appropriate monies for the establishment and maintenance of a public library. It also stated that any such library establishment would be free to every inhabitant of that town.
In 1797 Hampstead had a "social library". Later the Sunday School Library at the Congregational Church was the source of fictional reading for both children and adults. Nearly fifty years after Dr. Eastman introduced his bill Hampstead acted to establish a town library. The beginning of the public library came when Nelson Ordway offered to give $1,000 for the purchase of books if the town would furnish suitable housing and caring of them. The first Hampstead Public Library was opened in 1888 in the brick house on Main Street opposite Heath Road. Willard F. Williams was the owner of the house at the time and he was appointed the first librarian. A branch of the library was maintained in East Hampstead for forty years under the care of Mrs. Mary B. Darbe.
Gifts by Mr. Ordway and his son Henry C. Ordway, supplemented by town appropriations, made possible the charming white building on Main Street adjacent to the Congregational Church. This building was dedicated on May 18, 1897 and was in continual use as a public library until June 4, 1994. The building was made to accommodate more than 10,000 volumes for a population under 1000 people. In 1974, the downstairs was furnished as the Marjorie Kirkness room, named for a former trustee. In 1982 the children's collection was moved downstairs to the Kirkness room, and in 1990 a handicapped ramp was installed.
As the town grew, so did the needs for more space and services. Study and Building Committees were organized and met diligently until the Stewart building, part of a business complex, was purchased by the town from monies voted at the March, 1993 Town Meeting.
It is hoped that this building will continue to fulfill the requirements of the original state library act for "general diffusion of intelligence among all classes of the community," as well as carrying on the tradition of the Main Street facility: providing a stimulating environment for a variety of cultural activities for patrons of all ages.
The second floor with space for non-fiction, reference, study and meeting rooms opened in 2004. Since then the library has been growing and thriving, the collection almost doubling in size with the addition of new formats and downloadable content. With library visits increasing by 120%, circulation has almost doubled as well. Meeting room and study room use has increased by 461% and computer use has increased by 139%.
The library also has a virtual presence with an up to date web site featuring an active Facebook page, museum pass reservation software and electronic resources. Our very popular electronic newsletter and electronic message board keep the community informed of the library programs, services, collections and news.
History of the Hampstead Public Library Directors
|Willard F. Williams||1888-1896|
|Mary L. Hoyt||1897-1916|
|Mary L. Darbe||1906-1947|
|Clara E. Darling||1917-1942|
|Rosemary Krol||2015- Present|
History of the Hampstead Public Library's Current Building
|1984||Building Committee formed to investigate options and present a plan to the Trustees.|
|1986||Town Meeting: addition to current building presented to the Town for $425,000. Defeated by 11 votes.|
|1987||Town Meeting: Offer of land presented to Trustees. Offer to last for a maximum of 3 years. $50,000 voted to begin development for a new facility. Full architectural plans completed.|
|1988||Town Meeting: New building proposal of $950,000 to be built of offered land. Defeated with 58% of the vote.|
|1989||Town Meeting: New building proposal of $825,000 to be built on offered land. Defeated with 65% of the vote (14 votes). $100,000 passed toward a Capital Reserve fund for the library. (Offer of land withdrawn by donors)|
|1990||Town Meeting: $100,000 addition to Capital Reserve fund defeated.|
|1991||Town Meeting: $100,000 addition to Capital Reserve fund approved.|
|1992||Town Meeting: $100,000 addition to Capital Reserve fund approved.|
|1993||Town Meeting: $332,000 from Capital Reserve released for purchase and renovation of building located on Rt. 121. $250,000 approved to complete first floor and basement.|
|1994||Library moved to current location at 9 Mary E. Clark Drive.|
|1995||Town Meeting: $50,000 to establish a Capital Reserve Fund towards the completion of the new facility. Defeated.|
|1996||Town Meeting: $25,000 to establish a Capital Reserve Fund towards the completion of the new facility. Passed.|
|1997||Town Meeting: $25,000 to add to the established Capital Reserve Fund. Defeated.|
|1998||Town Meeting: $75,000 to add to the established Capital Reserve Fund to install the elevator towards the completion of the new facility. Release of $25,000|
|2004||Second floor of the Library dedicated on September 18, 2004.|